Enzo Ferrari founded the car brand after his last name in 1947. Ferrari is currently about 90% owned by Fiat. The other 10% is owned by Enzo's illegitimate son, Piero. Ferrari's production is very low. The company produces up to 4.000 cars a year, but then again, few can afford the exclusive sports car. The brand also has its own Formula 1 team, Scuderia Ferrari, which has been around since 1929. Last but not least an entire amusement park has been built around the illustrious brand from Italy, by wealthy oil sheiks in Abu Dhabi: Ferrari World.

Ferrari roller coaster at Ferrari World
The super-fast Ferrari roller coaster at Ferrari World, Abu Dhabi

Enzo once started his career as a driver at Alfa Romeo in 1923 and soon got an entire team under him. He often won with his racing team for Alfa Romeo. He left the company in 1939 and agreed with Alfa that the Ferrari name would not be associated with racing or racing cars for 4 years. Just after the Second World War, Enzo started building a car under his own name. The first was completed on March 2, 1947 and was named Ferrari 125 S. Enzo has been participating in Formula 1 since its inception in 1950. Ferrari is the only party that has always raced in Formula 1 history. To this day, the brand name is therefore mentioned in the same breath as Formula 1 racing.

The first Ferrari: the 125 S
The first Ferrari: the 125 S

Ferrari Rosso

Ferrari has not always only produced racing cars, but also very exclusive consumer cars such as the Testarossa, the F40, the F50 and the Enzo. Because most cars have a unique red color, this color is also called Ferrari red. The logo with the prancing horse is also famous. Legend has it that Enzo got the horse on a shield from the parents of Francesco Baracca, a pilot during World War I. The parents had attended an important race on the Savio circuit and were so impressed that they wanted to give the driver a gift. Enzo, who was still driving for Alfa Romeo at the time, gratefully accepted the weapon, but later put it on a yellow background, the color of the Italian city of Modena.

Give a reaction

The email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *